Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Traffic jam

[Note: No blog entry here on Memorial Day Monday last week, but two entries this week!]

Bob, a black Lab retriever who's brand-new here at the SF/SPCA, got his very first walk in San Francisco from yours truly. I learned a lot about Bob during our walk, especially on the way back. Bob is into having short walks right now. So he's perfect for someone who prefers low-impact workouts. He would love to stroll around the block or through the park with you. He doesn't seem to need to be run more than 10 feet at a time at this point, and the only leash-pulling I experienced from him was of the "Hey, can we please slow down" variety. So if a user-friendly routine of mellow, laid-back dog maintenance fits into your future plans, Bob could very well be your guy.

By the way, not knowing any of the above until after I had subjected Bob to my standard Marine Corps boot camp-style running and sprinting program during our walk, I got schooled in the meaning of "low energy" as written on Bob's chart. Upon returning to the building, he decided "OK, enough is enough already" and laid down in the middle of the lobby with his tongue hanging out of his head onto the floor like a wet kickstand. All I could do was stand over him with my hands on my hips like the time I stood on a deserted stretch of I-80 at 2 in the morning staring into the open hood of my '87 Pathfinder, wondering if it would carry me another couple exits before its alternator gave out for good. Much like my truck, Bob wasn't budging. Maybe next time for just these sorts of situations I should bring flares and a sign reading "Dog stall; Expect delays." Oh, and a "Wet floor/Piso mojado" sign for the drool. You can never be too prepared.


To conclude our little traffic report, we finally got the left lane cleared of this stall (it took 2 of us to get Bob to his feet and marching the 10 steps or so back to his room). He's a great dog who knows his limits, behaves perfectly, and asks only that someone gives him a 3-word workout routine: Short 'n' sweet.

As of 5/28/08:
Bob...AVAILABLE FOR ADOPTION pending evaluation.

No comments: